Are you interested in research and development of advanced RF sensors?
Do you want to develop experimental hardware systems and technologies?
We are seeking a creative engineer to help advance cutting-edge intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance, and targeting (ISR&T) technologies. Our team 's focus is on active and passive RF systems, from concept design to prototyping, to evaluating system performance, and everything in between. You will join a hardworking team of radar engineers who are passionate about supplying their expertise to groundbreaking sensor technologies. You will make significant contributions to our team by helping us develop sensor system concepts and algorithms for signal detection and waveforms. We are a diverse team and strive to foster an environment of collaboration and teamwork. This is a significant role in our efforts to invent state-of-the-art sensor architectures and technology solutions that help defend our country.
- Perform system engineering trade studies in support of concept development for new radar systems to meet emerging sponsor requirements.
- Develop modeling and simulation tools to enable system trade studies that assess conceptual architectures, designs, and the impacts of technological innovations on system performance.
- Design, integrate, and test prototype radar technologies and systems in both laboratory and field test settings.
- Present analysis to sponsors and prime contractors to guide program direction.
- Explore opportunities to translate findings into whitepapers, conference talks, journal articles, or other internal or external publications.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- M.S. in electrical engineering, physics, or equivalent, with a concentration in electromagnetics, signal processing or RF systems and/or devices.
- 2+ years of experience in the development of airborne and/or space-based radar systems.
- Strong MATLAB or Python skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time as needed.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
- Are able to obtain Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain TS/SCI level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You 'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have...
- Ph.D. in electrical engineering, physics, math, or equivalent.
- Experience with phased arrays, digital arrays, and digital beamforming.
- Familiarity with space-time adaptive processing (STAP) for ground-moving target indication (GMTI).
- Understanding of synthetic aperture radar (SAR) and different SAR modes.
- Current TS/SCI clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates. At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.