Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.Job Description
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research in the development of nano-based materials and composites with tailored optical and electronic properties across the electromagnetic spectrum. You will be a part of a team of materials scientists and engineers investigating: 1) the incorporation of these materials into electrochromic displays and devising strategies to improve their performance, and 2) developing and evaluating composite materials with improved electromagnetic wave absorption performance. This position is in in the Functional Materials Synthesis and Integration Group of the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Fabricate and characterize performance of electrochromic displays incorporating LLNL’s custom nanostructured materials.
- Develop synthesis and surface treatments of nanomaterials and strategies for their solid-state assembly, elucidating the underlying processing-structure-function relationships to guide improvements in materials and device performance.
- Design, implement, analyze and resolve synthesis or formulation problems and establish solutions leading to materials that meet desired scientific specifications. This may include scanning and transmission electron microscopy, XRD, Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy, or other related spectroscopy.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the conception, design and execution of research to address defined problems.
- Pursue independent but complementary research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Collaborate with scientists in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Maintain and establish laboratory protocols.
- Document research; publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results within the DOE community and at conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD in chemical engineering, materials science, applied physics, electrical engineering, or related field.
- Experience with fabricating, assembling, and/or testing electrochromic or organic electronic based displays.
- Experience with modelling and/or testing the electromagnetic properties of materials.
- Experience in elucidating composite materials’ processing-structure-function relationships.
- Ability as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques and execution.
- Ability to develop independent research projects and publish in peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills as reflected in effective presentations at seminars, meetings and/or teaching lectures.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills with desire and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
Skills in cleanroom nanofabrication, scanning and transmission electron microscopy, Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy, or other related skills.
Understanding of the concepts of device physics, charge transport in granular nanomaterials.
Experience in surface chemistry and high temperature synthesis of inorganic nanomaterials and their characterization.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site .
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2 (link is external) .
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form .
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here .Videos To Watch