Position TitleAdjunct, Computer Information Systems
Open Internally or ExternallyExternal
If faculty, tenure track statusNon-Tenure Track
Reports to (title)Associate Dean
DepartmentComputer Sciences and Information Sys (School of Business)-2D2
Position TypeOne Semester Temporary
Job CategoryAdjunct - Variable
Initial Work LocationVaries
Starting Salary$900/Contact Hour
Job Open Date08/23/2021
Job Close Date08/26/2022
Open Until FilledNo
Salt Lake Community College is Utah’s largest college with the most diverse student body. It serves more than 60,000 students on 10 campuses and with online classes. All ages. Many interests and flexible scheduling.
The Computer Sciences and Information Systems department prepares students to enter the workforce in a variety of information technology (IT) fields and/or to seamlessly transfer to a four year institution to continue IT related studies.
1. Under general supervision, the adjunct faculty member teaches Computer Information Systems courses to community college students.
2. Students may pursue a Certificate, Associate of Applied Science Degree, or an Associate of Science Degree in Computer Information Systems as offered by the department.
3. Adjunct faculty member may teach classes at any SLCC campus or site.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
1. Follows the course curriculum outline, prepares and delivers lectures and other classroom activities.
2. Keeps accurate classroom records.
3. Coordinates Student ADA accommodation requests following college policy and procedures.
4. Answer student questions and provide necessary feedback on student progress.
5. Follows SLCC policies and procedures.
6. Supports department assessment initiatives.
7. Meets College and department deadlines and evaluates student work in a timely manner including submitting final grades on time.
8. Completes required training and attends department meetings.
9. Demonstrates and supports professional commitment to division, school, and college mission and values.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties Continued
1. Becomes familiar with, and abides by, all college policies with immediate priority given to those policies that govern interactions with colleagues, staff, administrators, and departments throughout the organization
2. Maintains professional etiquette in communications with students, staff, faculty, and administrators
3. Provides appropriate and timely feedback for all assignments
4. Returns graded assignments in a timely fashion per department standards
5. Maintains student attendance records (for Financial Aid purposes) and grades
6. Conducts a variety of appropriate evaluations of student performance
7. Informs students of progress-to-date periodically and assigns and submits grades by published deadlines
8. Assists in maintaining a safe and mutually respectful instructional environment
9. Prepares and submits incident reports to Dean of Student Services for inappropriate student behavior as defined by the Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities Policy
10. Maintains professional and collegial behavior
11. Handles/responds to student concerns/complaints, and responds to student communications and inquiries promptly (generally within 1‐2 days)
12. Maintains professional appearance as defined by the discipline and/or College procedure
13. Completes all required employee trainings
14. Knows and enforces FERPA guidelines
15. Provides ADA accommodations as requested
Recent full-time or full-time equivalent teaching experience in CIS or closely related field at a regionally accredited higher education institution
Candidate must have either (a) or (b)
a. Master’s degree or higher
i. Degree must be from an accredited institution and in Computer Information Systems, Business Information Systems, Computer Science, or other computer-related field, or
b.Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution plus two or more of the following with supporting documentation:
-Professional Certification in Computing (national, state, regional)
-Teaching excellence award
-Computer or technology related college-level course work
beyond a Bachelor’s Degree, equivalent to at least 18 semester hours.
-Paid industry experience within the last five years in any of the following areas:
a) Web-Based Programming and Development, both client and server side
b) Database Design, Management and Administration
c) Software Design, Development and Engineering
d) Information Systems or Technology
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Professional Industry experience in one or more computer-related fields.
Strong knowledge of information security, network administration, programming issues and best practices.
Assess and maintain records of student performance.
Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of diverse people, culture, ethnic background, and abilities, to maintain good working relationships across the College. The ability to work with all groups in a diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic background of community college students, faculty and staff, including those with disabilities.
This posting is for ongoing recruiting where the submitted applications are reviewed by the hiring department when positions become available.
1) In accordance with SLCC policy, adjunct positions are offered on a semester by semester basis with no guarantee of continued employment.
2) Official transcripts are required for those who are offered employment within in 30 days of hire.
3) In accordance with Board of Regents policy, SLCC’s Human Resources will conduct a criminal background check on instructors if concurrent enrollment (K-12) students are assigned to classes.
The following documents are required to complete the application:
-Resume or curriculum vitae
-Copy of transcripts and certificates
Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) is fully committed to policies of equal employment and nondiscrimination. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, religion, protected veteran status, expression of political or personal beliefs outside of the workplace, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
SLCC is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”).
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check.