Are you a theorist with expertise in gate-based quantum computing?
Do you want to work with a vibrant team of experimental and theoretical physicists?
If so, we are looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a creative quantum scientist to help us grow new projects and mature existing ones. As a member of our team, you'll contribute to research that will pave the way for real-world experimental results. You will join our hardworking team of quantum scientists who want to expand the state-of-the-art in quantum science. We are passionate about building new and exciting solutions for our sponsors. We strive to cultivate an environment of collaboration and teamwork. Also, we are committed to integrity and honesty, and value substance and innovation.
As a Quantum Information Science Theorist at APL you will...
- Propose and lead independent research projects in quantum algorithm development, quantum error correction, and scalable characterization techniques.
- Work collaboratively with other APL staff to identify emerging challenges with quantum solutions.
- Support ongoing programs in QIS by making immediate contributions to efforts modelling physically motivated quantum systems, and developing relevant characterization, control, and error correction strategies.
You meet our minimum qualifications if you...
- Have a PhD in Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, or a closely related field.
- Have 2+ years of post-doctoral (or equivalent) experience in quantum information science.
- Experience with programming and software development.
- Have a proven record of research accomplishment and publications in the field of quantum information science.
- Are willing to occasionally travel to sponsor sites, conferences and workshops.
- Are able to obtain a TS/SCI w/ Polygraph security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and need to meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You will go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have experience with developing new schemes for quantum error correction.
- Knowledge and experience with implementing quantum noise characterization and control techniques.
- Have high-performance-computing experience.
- Have a record of significant contributions on collaborative projects pursuing highly sophisticated objectives.
- Have experience working closely with experimentalists.
- Have an active TS/SCI w/ Polygraph security clearance.
Why Work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
- Primary Mission Area: Research & Exploratory Development
- Requisition ID: 26903
- Security Clearance Required on Start Date: Clearance not required
- Final Security Clearance Required: TS/SCI w/ Poly