Are you passionate about finding new ways to defend cyber assets?
Does the thought of developing your ideas to thwart cyber attackers make you grin?
Does imagining your adversaries' frustration as they realize a system your ideas defend is just too hard to crack make that grin even wider?
Do you work best in an intellectually stimulating, professionally rewarding, and fun environment?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our APL team!
We are seeking a cybersecurity researcher, who will help us develop new ideas for cybersecurity. As a member of the APL team, you will work with teams of engineers and scientists whose goal is to develop creative solutions to existing and emerging cybersecurity challenges from initial idea through the advanced prototype stage and experimentation. We strive to cultivate an environment that promotes professional growth and a balanced life, and inspires diversity of thought. In more detail, your role will be to...
- Perform fundamental and/or applied research to address urgent gaps in defensive cybersecurity, including network security, host-based security, mobile security, cloud security, IoT security, software development, and integrated automated cybersecurity.
- Provide thought leadership and technical leadership in a research environment.
- Participate in research projects to develop new approaches to cyber defense. Transform concepts into functioning prototypes to demonstrate the feasibility and effectiveness of new and emerging solutions.
- Participate in teams working to advance the defensive capabilities of essential national systems. Analyze and assess existing capabilities and identify exposed gaps. Work with staff to devise and develop algorithms, methods, and new solutions for improving defensive capabilities.
- Actively engage the broader community by publishing papers and presenting research outcomes in academic settings. Share knowledge by clearly articulating ideas through papers and presentations to technical staff, management, and government decision-makers. Take advantage of opportunities to participate in community working groups, sponsor meetings, proposal writing, and conferences.
You meet the minimum qualifications for this position if you have:
- A Masters degree in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, or a related technical field.
- 5+ years of prior research experience.
- Experience in programming or scripting languages, and ability to develop and demonstrate new security concepts.
- Experience with one or more of the following: Windows, Unix-like operating systems (e.g., Linux), shell scripting; malware analysis and reverse engineering; networking protocols (e.g., TCP, HTTP, and SMTP); cloud computing; virtualization (e.g., KVM, Xen, VMware), and IoT.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Are able to obtain Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain TS/SCI level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You’ll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have:
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related field.
- 7+ years of cyber-related research experience.
- Demonstrated leadership in directing and conducting research efforts, including prior experience as Principal Investigator.
- Strong background in cyber-security concepts and technologies.
- Experience writing published papers and presenting results to conferences/workshops.
- A current DoD clearance and prior experience working with Government agencies are desirable.
- Active TS/SCI clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space, and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
- Primary Mission Area: Cyber Operations
- Requisition ID: 26691
- Security Clearance Required on Start Date: Interim Secret
- Final Security Clearance Required: TS/SCI