Do you want to contribute to creative solutions in a collaborative environment?
Are you passionate about advancing the latest science as part of a team of outstanding scientists and engineers?
Are you searching for meaningful work targeted toward having an impact in the defense, energy, space, and other extreme environment-related fields?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL!
The Multifunctional Materials and Nanostructures Group is seeking a materials chemist with experience developing materials for extreme environments such as extreme temperatures, pressures, forces, oxidation, radiation, etc. You will apply your strong background in materials synthesis and processing to formulate novel materials, and revolutionize performance in extreme environments such as the hypersonic environment. You will also support the strategy for our team, whose efforts contribute to solving the Government's challenges by defining material compositions, architectures, and approaches to achieve targeted performance.
Envision joining a collaborative team of elite engineers and scientists, passionate about results, and committed to excellence in work, open communication, and diversity. We strive to cultivate a collaborative atmosphere to achieve game-changing impact. Our APL team values integrity and innovative ideas that will ensure our Nation’s preeminence in the 21st century.
As an Extreme Materials Chemist, your primary responsibilities will be to…
- Formulate, synthesize, and process materials with tailored multi-functional capabilities.
- Design and execute laboratory experiments, characterize properties, and evaluate performance of custom materials.
- Collaborate with the team to translate materials design choices and properties into system-level performance.
- Document technical work in detail (reports, briefs, procedures, etc.) and present to internal and external stakeholders.
- Contribute to white papers, proposals, and sponsor briefings.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you…
- Possess a BS in Materials Science & Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Ceramics, Chemistry, or related field.
- Have 2+ years of experience synthesizing and processing multi-functional materials, particularly ultra-high temperature ceramics, carbon fibers, carbon-carbon composites, energetic materials, or refractory alloys.
- Are knowledgeable of gas-liquid-solid phase materials synthesis and processing techniques (i.e., CVD, sol-gel chemistry, powder-processing and solid-state ceramic processing).
- Broadly understand structure and property relationships for the design and processing of tailored materials.
- Are a reliable teammate with excellent communication skills.
- Work in a laboratory setting.
- Are willing and able to travel occasionally to attend meetings with sponsors and academic conferences.
- Are able to obtain a Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you…
- Possess a MS or PhD in Materials Science & Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Ceramics, Chemistry, or related field.
- Have 5+ years of relevant experience.
- Have experience with extreme test environments (e.g., arc jet, wind tunnel, high speed particle impact, flight tests, etc.) and their ability to provide distinctive insights into materials and system performance.
- Model and validate the behavior of materials, particularly with complex interactions of materials with environmental loading, e.g., aero-thermal, mechanical, oxidation, radiation, etc. as materials react, undergo phase changes, accommodate severe mechanical / thermal loads, etc.
- Characterize electromagnetic properties of materials.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates. At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
- Primary Mission Area: Research & Exploratory Development
- Requisition ID: 26774
- Security Clearance Required on Start Date: Clearance not required
- Final Security Clearance Required: Secret