(This position is initially open to full time, bargaining unit employees of the college)
Note: Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, this position will be remote until further notice.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are fundamental to our mission to educate students. We are committed to education that places strong emphasis on global citizenship, social justice and equity. We live this value through the strength and richness that diversity brings to our workforce and welcome contributors from equity groups including: Indigenous Peoples, Visible Minorities, Persons with Disabilities, Lesbian Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer persons.
Reporting to the Manager, Enterprise Architecture and Governance, the role of the Enterprise Architect is to design a multi-year systems and technology plan to minimize costs and maximize effectiveness. The Enterprise Architect is responsible for communicating the plan to all those involved in Information Technology design, implementation, and maintenance. The incumbent will be assigned to project teams working on new application development and new infrastructure projects to ensure the architectural integrity is maintained. The incumbent will have a wide-ranging knowledge of systems development technology, Banner, servers and networks, and cloud offerings.
The Enterprise Architect will keep abreast of new developments in technology and in higher education technology offerings and evaluate how best to incorporate those advancements into the overall systems design, if applicable to Centennial College strategic plans. The Enterprise Architect will participate in the establishment, planning, administration, and support of policies, standards, guidelines, and reference architectures.
A key part of the role is keeping all of IT Management informed of the rationale behind the systems architecture, convincing users of the business value, and monitoring how the plan is evolving over time.
Lead and Influence:
• Lead the creation and subsequent evolution of the enterprise architecture program/function.
• Promote the business value of the EA program/function and its process, and the results of the EA program to business and IT leaders/executives.
• Lead the development of an implementation plan for the enterprise architecture based on business strategy and requirements.
• Participate in large projects as a team member, influencing the technology decisions to ensure the integrity of the overall IT architecture components.
• Formulate, translate, advocate, support and execute business strategy to achieve the organization's targeted business outcomes.
• Construct technology-enabled operating models and provide viable options and visibility into execution issues.
• Work with Application Developers, Network Analysts and Infrastructure Analysts to continually improve and maintain the alignment of IT with business goals and objectives. Lead the effort to promote and improve understanding of technical decisions and their benefits to the entire Centennial community.
• Provide support to the entire college in technology directions and policies
• Lead vendor working groups to provide direction in capabilities and technology choices
• Provide IT support with a framework to build and develop systems that meet future needs and take advantage of the latest technologies.
• Communicate broadly and deliver presentations to college wide committees and senior management
• Participate on college wide committees as required
Develop and Maintain the Systems Architecture:
• Understand the business's economic and financial levers that are susceptible to digital transformation, to effectively support and guide technology investment decisions.
• Design and construct technology plans that will identify the key components to support the future business directions and will provide an efficient and maintainable set of technology resources.
• Attend seminars and workshops, such as Ellucian and Educause, to remain current on higher education technology directions. Work with user groups from other higher education organizations to help identify and communicate opportunities for technology firms to better understand the needs of students, faculty, and staff.
Execution and Governance:
• Detail opportunities and risks that can affect strategic planning decisions and outcomes.
• Identify areas that can benefit from shared technology to reduce inefficiencies and duplication.
• Identify where controls need to be built into applications and networks to facilitate reporting for both efficiency of operations and reporting of potential risks of exposing data to unauthorized users.
• Develop and maintain enterprise technology architecture and services, including:
o Database administration and management services for all enterprise and departmental systems
o Identity and access controls required to ensure integrity of Centennial systems
o Systems integration design, development, and operations including authentication, finance, student systems, learning management systems and others as required
o Enterprise mobile app management
o Enterprise document management services
o Alignment with security goals and objectives
• Bachelor’s degree (or Masters) in business, computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, system analysis or a related field of study, and/or a combination of relevant education and work experience.
• TOGAF Certification (in good standing)
• Minimum 5 years of experience in operations planning and applications design and planning.
• Minimum 8 years of experience in at least three disciplines, such as business, information, solution or technical architecture, application architecture and development, middleware, information analysis, database management or operations in a multi-tier environment
• Hands on experience with the following:
o VMware vSphere Administration
o VMWare VDI Administration
o Microsoft Exchange Administration
o AD/LDAP and IDM Administration
o Linux Enterprise Network Administration
o Network Engineering
o Data storage fundamentals
• ITIL Certification, DevOps or Agile training courses (asset)
• Consultation, collaboration and facilitation skills to consult with diverse stakeholders, advise on highly technical issues; facilitate discussions among stakeholders with different interests; negotiate customer service agreements
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to take on a leadership role (I.e. project management)
Apply online: www.centennialcollege.ca/careers
Proof of credentials or equivalencies from accredited regional or federal post secondary institutions and/or their foreign equivalents will be required at the time of job offer.
When applying, your cover letter and résumé must include examples that reflect all of the requested skills and qualifications and must be submitted online by Friday, January 22nd, 2020 at 11:59 PM EST. Please quote Job ID J1120-1520. Misrepresentation of applicant information will be grounds for your exclusion from the competition or for dismissal should you subsequently be hired for the position. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to providing persons with disabilities equal opportunities regarding all employment activities, including access to jobs and accommodations during employment as required, in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).