Do you have experience researching and developing capabilities for the warfighters?
Are you passionate about using innovation and technology to solve technical challenges involving the defense of the US?
If so, this is the perfect opportunity for you.
As a Senior Research Engineer, you will...
Join a close-knit prototyping teams developing capabilities that enable warfighters to harness a diverse set of sensors and data sources to accomplish a variety of missions critical to our nation's defense.
Devise approaches and prototype solutions to unaddressed, critical military operational shortfalls through research, conceptualization, design, implementation, and analysis. Current projects focus on improving the exploitation of sensor data through object tracking, multi-sensor correlation and fusion, and analysis of large mission data sets.
- Apply your knowledge of radar theory and signal processing, pulse doppler radar, synthetic aperture and inverse synthetic aperture radar, airborne moving target indicator radar, pulse compression radar, phased array radar and associated performance capabilities and limitations.
- Develop target detection and tracking from radar return to include specifying and programming target detection algorithms, clutter suppression techniques, Kalman (and similar) filters for track gate prediction and smoothing, target track initiation schema, and target track correlation and association algorithms.
- Develop multi-dimensional FFTs and alternative transforms, spatial/smoothing filters, enhancements techniques, image compression, and encoding standards.
- Develop algorithms and prototype functionality related to the automatic exploitation of airborne and ground-based Electro-Optical and Infrared full-motion video.
- Analyze, develop and apply imagery/camera models, camera calibration, stereo imaging.
- Analyze and develop imagery registration techniques such as Random Sample Consensus (RANSAC) and mutual information.
- Analyze passive intelligence systems to optimize the accuracy and ability to act upon derived direction finding and emitter location products and associated signal attributes.
- Apply your knowledge of techniques, algorithms, network considerations and operational considerations for the fusion of data and information with a goal to improve operator understanding and produce tactically actionable information.
You meet the minimum qualifications for this position if you have:
PhD in EE, CS, or related field.
Established track record of applying computer science and engineering expertise to address cutting edge challenges and real-world problems.
Highly creative and interested in novel challenges. Self-starter able to work effectively in a demanding, multi-tasking environment.
Ability to occasional travel and work at military facilities including underway on US Navy ships and aircraft, requiring work outside of and in excess of normal working hours.
Are able to obtain a Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You’ll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have:
Experience with complex software development
5 years of experience with complex software development and significant knowledge of C++ or Java in a Linux/Unix environment
Experience and Interest in leading research and development efforts
Active Secret clearance.
in its workforce.
Why Work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.